I made these shoes for Elliot on Friday night. I got the leather from our Cub Leader ages ago. The inside of the sole is made from cotton fleece (yk, like tracksuit material) which is scraps from a dragon hat I made for Andrew some 8 years ago. The elastic is actually cut up buttonhole elastic which I had left over from some longies I made a few months ago now. And the thick quilter's thread is left over from the days when I used to make heaps of teddy bears. So nothing was new, nothing cost anything, and it was all scraps put to a good use.
I was really surprised at how quick they were to sew up. The most time consuming parts were preparing the leather (hot wash and hot dryer to ensure they don't shrink after sewing) and looking frantically for the elastic (really do have to clean the study, LOL!) but the rest was done in a matter of minutes. I used my own pattern, but I drew inspiration from Stardust Shoes and the numerous sites which give instructions and free patterns on making cloth/leather shoes. Oh, and the $44 shoes I bought him for his 1st birthday.
Very happy. :)
NB: my walking foot is my new best friend, and the sole is the leather turned wrong way out to give grip.